Monday, September 20, 2010

budget

With Jon not working and the state of AZ unemployment only being $240 a month we have been living on a pretty tight budget the past month and half. The best thing we did when we moved to AZ was try and save for this time. We knew that Jon's job wasnt going to last forever and that at some point we would have to live on a pretty tight budget. We saved up enough that we could pretty much live without going into debt for about 13 months. We are a lot better off then most people who are put in this situation. We are now cutting coupons, (well Jon is, it's his little obsession) There are so many coupons for bad processed foods which we dont buy much of but there are a few that help. We stopped our weekly date nights with a babysitter, dinner and a movie that's like a hundred bucks. I miss those nights but now we find time like when the kids are in school for our time. We got rid of the cleaning lady which is a back breaker and I hate that twice a month the house isnt clean from top to bottom. Now it's me and it's pretty much a daily chore of trying to get one room picked up. Jon gave up his direct TV with the football package which was a really hard choice for him but we haven't really missed it. With Netflix on Demand there is always something to watch and a lot of shows are on the internet. One of his friends has the football package so he can use his log in to watch the Vikings play on the computer or he can go to the sports bar to watch. Plus there are no more frivolous trips to Target or Walmart. We buy what we need and that's it. I am amazed at how much money in the past we wasted on pretty much crap. I could walk into Target and spend a hundred bucks without batting an eye but now that I can't I really don't miss it. The thing I do miss is my pedicures. There is nothing like a good scrubbing of the feet with pretty painted toe nails to top it off. It's tough but we'll get through it and when Jon finally does start getting a steady stream of cash coming in again I hope that I wont get back into my old habits except for the pedicures and date nights....

No comments:

Post a Comment