Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hernia

I have been having some pain in my upper abdomen lately. It mainly happens when I am working my upper abs out. I kept putting off going to the drs because I had a feeling it was going to be a hernia and I really didnt want to deal w it. Well I finally went a few weeks back and the dr sent me to get a ct scan. That was absolutely the worst thing that I had ever gone through. I had to drink 2 huge bottles of this barium sulfate suspension before I headed to the radiologists. I barely made it. Then when I got there they made me drink 6 more oz. I got through maybe 2 when all of a sudden I threw up...I was running towards the bathroom so I threw up all over the waiting room. Oh so embarrasing. Then I had to get this iv put in me and they put this contrast dye in me and I through up all over the machine. The worst thing was they made me lie there in my puke while they finished taking the ct. It was awful. The smell was overpowering. I would much rather be pregnant w twins then go through that experience again! I got the results back last week and the dr sent me to a surgeon. Today was the appointment. I was scared. I really dont want to have surgery. Well according to the ct scan I have a small periumbical hernia but it's not where the pain is so I ended up doing crunches for the doc so he could feel what I was talking about. He said there was a small hernia there and eventually I will have to get it fixed but it's not urgent. It's also in a place where it's hard to fix since it's between the muscle and the ribcage. He said there is a 20-30% chance even if he did sew it up that it would come back. He said that I should try to avoid doing core ab exercises which I have been doing. He said that if the pain becomes frequent then I should really get it fixed. The ct scan also said that my abdomen is "unremarkable" go figure! So as of now I will not be going under the knife and I will not be doing crunches (doctors orders!)

No comments:

Post a Comment